Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Medication Errors and I Think I Was Always a Wise Ass

Early in freshman English in high school, my teacher, Mr. Jenks asked, "What is it about Shakespeare that has set him apart and made him so great?"
Without thinking about it, I yelled out, "Plagurism." It was probably almost ten years after that before I was able to begin to appreciate Shakespeare.
Later that year Mr. Jenks told me I was recalcitrant. Got me to open a dictionary. I think I experienced a mixture of pride and shame.
When I was in nursing school, I yelled out a correction of Mrs. Brizendine's pronunciation of 'duodenum' from the fourth row. She told me off and read me the riot act. I later learned that she was using a pronunciation common in the Midwest that is as acceptable as the California pronunciation.
Early in my years as a nurse, nurses mixed in the medications in IV fluids after calculation of the proper amount that needed to be added. I was once standing at the nurses' station with three RNs. They each attempted a difficult calculation. They came up with three different answers. So I did the calculation and came up with yet a different answer. I double checked my work. Said, "This is the proper answer." And I walked away because I really didn't want to know what they ended up giving to the patient. As I'm writing this I realize that I had a duty to the patient to do the best I could to see that they got the proper dosage. The patient may have gotten the proper dose but I don't know for sure. I only know that the patient suffered no ill effects.

No comments: