Sunday, July 27, 2008

200,000 ? ? ?

I watched some coverage of the Obama speech in Berlin last week. The crowd was reported to be around 200,000 people. And I find that hard to believe. I watched some of the TV coverage of the event. There were few pictures of the crowd. And most views of the crowd were from angles that made it difficult to get an idea of the crowd as a whole: it was a series of tight shots of packed groups of a hundred or so. And when the crowd was shown it was always for an extremely short time: as if someone had something to hide. I froze a few shots and the crowd was sparse and did not stretch very far. These quickly panned-by shots that I froze showed a different picture than the few shots that were shown to prove the 200,000 estimate. The MSM showed very little footage of the crowd. I believe that, if the crowd had actually been anywhere near 200,000, we would have been getting round the clock replays of crowd scenes from ALL angles from the MSM. And we would not have been subjected to so much of that speech that was high on borrowed rhetoric and low on meaning.

No comments: