Sunday, February 24, 2008

Jamal





A warning. I’m going to write about my old cat. Not everyone wants to hear this kind of thing. You’ve been warned
I recently read a thing on the internet about a woman with chronic pain that got little relief from medications but her cat’s purring gives her some relief and contentment. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartDiseaseCenter/story?id=4325718&page=1 I was reminded of Jamal, the last cat I owned. He did not cuddle or sit on my lap. Most of the time I owned him I worked the night shift on a locked psych unit. We worked twelve hour shifts. Once in a while I would come home in the morning feeling unusually worn out and overly abused. I would get into bed and call Jamal. He would usually be in the kitchen looking out the window. But if I called him from the bed he would slowly make his way to the bed and lay in it for a while. He would lay about a foot from me as if he was afraid I’d roll over on him or we’d get too close. But I came to notice that on those days when I was feeling really down he would reach out one paw and touch my hand. It was his way of being healing. And it helped that this self-reliant cat with such good boundaries was there for me. He’s been gone since 2002 but I still miss him and I use pictures of him on my desktop sometimes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great cat. Reminds me of my cats - I don't have them any more.

Anonymous said...

Also, how did you find me?

Chris M. said...

Dear Ruby Redux
My charge nurse where I used to work always said I had more pictures of my cat than she had of her kids. I'd like to hear about your cats and see some pictures. I've never met a cat I didn't like.
How did I find you? Sometimes I look over the profiles and blogs of people who share preferences with me. I was looking at some of the people who listed As I Lay Dying as a favorit book. You had one of the more interesting blogs that I saw. And I felt compelled to comment on what you said about men and successful women.
I've gotten stuck on reading about politics on the web. So, these little side trips put me in contact with people with different interests which is often a pleasant change. I run across people that are not into politics. Many of them are caught up in their families, jobs and hobbies. There are a lot of knitters out there and a lot of people deep into food and cooking. I recently ran across a girl in Rome for summer school who had posted some great photos of the ruins and some of the old buildings still in use. Because of injuries I'm pretty much stuck at home but I can use books and the net to see more of the world.

Always On Watch said...

Chris,
Thank you for the comment at my photos web site.

All these years later, you miss Jamal? I'm not surprised. Cats occupy a special place in their humans' hearts. Sometimes the grief over losing one of our dear friends doesn't go away.

I lost the dearest cat I ever had back in 1997 - Honey Bunny, a red point, tabby, apple head Siamese (very rare breed). And I still miss her every day. Honey Bunny was my "heart cat."

Of course, I still love all the cats we have and have had since.