Sunday, October 19, 2008

American Islam by Paul M. Barrett

I just finished a book by Paul M. Barrett titled American Islam: the Struggle for the Soul of a Religion.
The title and dust jacket misrepresent the book. It is billed as a book about Islam in America. But do not think you will read in it about the full range of American Muslims. It is profiles of seven Muslims who live or have lived in America. But the emphasis is on moderate Muslims, almost exclusively Muslims who oppose violent Jihad. It is nice to know there are some. But it becomes obvious that these moderates are outside of the mainstream. Some of them so far out that they could be considered rebels. The larger sea of American Muslims in which they swim is hostile to the moderates and to the West.
I understand that these rebels would be easier for the author to deal with. They are more likely to give him time and attention. And they are probably more likely to be honest with him. But I don’t think that gives the author the right to mislead prospective buyers of the book.
All that said I enjoyed the book. I felt I got a good sense of the people profiled and the world they live in. And it was from what the author said that I was able to see that most of his subjects were outside of the mainstream.
I don’t know if there other books about the main currents of American Islam. But, if that is what you’re looking for, this book is not it.

No comments: