Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ravel Introduction et Allegro for Harp, stringquartet, flute, clarinet

.


I still have a dim memory of the first time I heard this piece. It would have been around 1967-8. It was at a big record store where they had little booths where you could take the records and listen to them. It was an Angel recording. I loved the etherial quality of the piece and bought it immediately. In those days I worked six days a week as a dishwasher. I rented a small room in a private home and almost everything that I did not spend on food and rent was spent buying books and records. My idea of a fun way to spend my day off was to have a chili dog at a nearby place that had Bob Dylan's 'Tom Thumbs Blues' on their juke box and listen to it four or five times. It is the previous incarnation of 'Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues' that is on side two of 'Highway 61 Revisited,' I know it is not related to Ravel but if I continue to free associate we will end up on the 'Bob Dylan for President' posters that were in almost every window in Berkeley in 1968 and all of the great used bookstores that were in the two blocks next to the campus where I bought a bunch of old Modern Library classics.

No comments: