Saturday, August 15, 2009

NEW SITE


Only by the form, the pattern,
Can words or music reach
The stillness, as a Chinese jar still
Moves perpetually in its stillness.
T. S. Eliot
Four Quartets
Briunt Norton


I have launched a new website called The Chinese Jar. It will be completely nonpolitical. Its goal:
“The goal of this site is to read some of the great books and write about them. I am interested in the reactions of others to these books and to what I write about them. I intend to post some lists of the great books. I also want to post links to other sites about these books.
“The great books are the books that have made major contributions to the great conversation. And that conversation is the ongoing discussion through the centuries of the major issues that have occupied mankind. Here are some of those questions. What does it mean to be human? What are good and evil? Is there a God? What is the nature of God? What is the best way to organize a government? How much can we know about the world? What is the nature of beauty? How should I behave towards my fellow men?”
I have begun with a post about ‘The Sisters’ which is the first short story in James Joyce’s collection titled ‘Dubliners.’ I will soon write and post something about ‘Picture This’ by Joseph Heller and Joyce’s story ‘Ivy Day in the Committee Room.’
This is new tome and I welcome input and advice on how I might be able to make the new site more user friendly.

No comments: