Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"I Come to the Garden Alone, While the Dew Is Still on the Roses" --Some of the Hymns of My Youth

*********************************************
Alan Jackson - In The Garden LIVE


Alan Jackson - Standing On The Promises


Alan Jackson - Are You Washed In The Blood / I´ll Fly Away


This is some of the music I grew up with in church. These songs sometimes play in the back of my brain while I go for a walk or do housework (Alan Watts used to call it 'roof brain chatter').
The white bread fundamentalist churches from which I spring have replaced these hymns with newer songs. I feel that the newer songs have less character and strength than the classics of my youth. When I hear the new stuff I find it difficult to listen because I tend to fall into a nostalgic funk.
It seems strange how these hymns have remained somewhere in my memory but I don't know how to locate them intentionally. And then, suddenly, a stray one will come blasting through at full volume even if it has been out of my consciousness for decades.

No comments: